A vacation is your time to relax and enjoy life.
Use our h andy vacation checklist next time you go away on vacation so your mind can really stay where it belongs – a million miles away.
- Make sure all electrical appliances are turned off.
- Clean the refrigerator of all perishable foods, and take out the garbage.
- Lock all windows and doors.
- Arrange to have the newspaper and mail held until your return, or have them picked up by a trusted neighbor.
- Arrange to have your lawn mowed (or snow shoveled) while you’re away. Ask a neighbor to set out your trash on collection day and then retrieve empty cans and recycling bins the same day.
- Let a trusted neighbor know you will be away and have them keep an eye on your home. It’s a good idea to leave your vacation address and telephone number with a neighbor so you can be reached in case of an emergency.
- Never leave your house key hidden outside your home.
- Set timers on interior lights.
- Make sure to unplug televisions, computers and appliances susceptible to lightning and power surges.
- Advise your alarm company and local police if you will be gone for an extended period.
- Store jewelry and valuable items in a safe-deposit box.
- Arrange for the care of pets.
- Set the heating system to provide minimum heat of 55 degrees.