In the market for a new home? How about your FIRST home? This is both exciting and stressful. However, to elevate some of the stress and confusion, there are lots of things you can do to help make the house hunt easier and the entire process less stressful.
– Make sure you are saving/have saved for a down payment, closing costs, taxes, and insurance.
– Constantly work on improving your credit score
– Calculate exactly what you can afford and don’t go over budget
– Get pre-approved to see if it matches your budget
– Choose a realtor
– Make at ‘wishlist’ of what you want in a home
– Visit homes – hopefully find your dream home and make an offer
You also want to make sure you look at safe neighborhoods. While crime happens in all areas, moving to an area that is less prone and already has a low documented crime rate will give you peace of mind.
Don’t forget to add in other costs as well – utilities, l andscaping, remodel/renovations. You might find an amazing deal on the house with a mortgage you can afford and then go WAY over your monthly budget, because of all the extras.
Take your time and don’t rush. Purchasing a new home – especially your first home – should be taken very seriously with a focus on every detail.