Get Moving Insurance before Moving

Home  »  Articles   »   Get Moving Insurance before Moving

Get Moving Insurance before Moving

There are different kinds of Insurance that pertain to moving:

• Released Value Insurance, the most basic coverage provided by moving companies. Estimated by weight it covers US$0.60 per pound of objects.
• Declared Value Insurance offers coverage of US $ 1.25 per pound, coverage is on the total weight of your movables. If any objects are damaged, the insurance is based on the depreciated value of the object to the maximum value of items shipped.
• Lump Sum Value, this insures based on the actual value of goods shipped and not by weight. The specific value of items must be declared on the bill of l anding.
• Full Value Protection, covers all damage or losses. Objects will be replaced, repaired, or cash for value of object will be offered.


• Decide which objects are to be moved and which are to be stored.
• Prepare a detailed list of objects to be moved along with weight and value.
• It is advisable to take insurance over and above that offered by the movers.
• Ask for advice on which insurance would benefit you the most.
• Get estimates from insurers.
• Remember a customer has to file a complaint within nine months of the move.
• A mover is legally obliged to acknowledge a claim within 30 days and offer settlement within 120 days.
• Even if there is damage a customer is obligated by law to pay for the move. After which the customer should address the claim procedure to receive compensation.
• Ask the mover to explain clearly the insurance cover offered by them, the exclusions, and limits.
• Always read carefully the small print on the mover’s contract and insurance papers.
• List antiques and valuables separately and take extra coverage for them. Extra premium is generally charged for fine china, paintings, and so on.
• If any goods are damaged, never unpack/remove them from their boxes until all procedures for claims are completed.

Check whether your homeowners insurance covers moving. Purchase an insurance that best covers the value of the property being transported.

Find out what can be insured. Normally, jewellery, cash, as well as items not packed by movers are not covered. Goods like fuels, fertilizers, acids, ammunitions, paints, aerosol cans, corrosives, as well as flammable substances will invalidate insurance and should not be moved.

It is important to know the laws of the state or country where you live and the place you are moving to.

Experts recommend transit insurance as a good supplement to moving insurance. It will generally cover the gaps left by the insurance policy.

Clever coverage can save hundreds of thous ands of dollars and insurance is available on the net, through the mover, a move-it-yourself company, or homeowner’s insurance companies.